Tuesday, June 9, 2009

I'm Behind! Weekend Update :)

We had a really full couple of weeks and weekends, and I have been playing 'catch up' with a lot of things the last couple of days. Hence, I haven't blogged for a while or responded much to email. Thank you for your patience with me :) This weekend was a great one! To start off the weekend, my dear friend Bethany drove from Chicago on Thursday night after her work (she is a counselor) and stayed at our house for the night. On Friday morning, we walked around downtown Madison, went out to brunch and just did a lot of catching up. Bethany and her husband, Jer, were in our old church small group in Chicago, and the two of us used to meet almost every single Tuesday night for dinner and drinks in the city just catching up on our week and talking about everything that was going on in our lives. More specifically, we'd typically meet at Zapatistas in the South Loop for some delicious Mexican food (and the best guacamole a girl can ask for) and a mojito after our workday. I really treasure and miss those dinners, so it was a real treat to hang out with her for a full day. Thanks again for driving to Madison and visiting, Bethany!

Bethany relaxing on Friday after on our backyard porch. :)

On Friday night, we left for Naperville, IL to stay with my sister, Valerie, brother-in-law, Steve and nephew, Liam. While Doug had finals and presentations literally ALL day on Saturday, my sister and I got an early start to register at Babies 'R' Us for my baby showers that are rapidly approaching here in a month or two. Honestly, even with a lot of research, I think I would have been overwhelmed and stressed out without Valerie there--there is no shortage of baby products and reviews to keep your head spinning (that's for sure)! And, the day I registered was the actual day of Valerie's 33rd birthday! So, we did do another little celebration afterward at a restaurant nearby--just the two of us :) Isn't she great for helping me on her birthday (I sure think so!). Thank you SO SO much again, Valerie! Baby Girl Smith thanks you too! ;-)

Valerie at Babies 'R' Us on Saturday on her birthday! Happy Birthday, Valerie!

And, on Saturday night, I met with my close friend, Daniela, for a casual dinner downtown. We had a wonderful time catching up. Daniela and I met over 6 years ago when we were both working at the Willow Creek Association, and I was still in college. Daniela is actually from Germany and is a big time Marketing Brand Manager now in Chicago--she is really a savvy business woman! She is also one of the kindest and most honest people I know--she's truly a wonderful friend. It has been really great to watch each other grow over the years and is always awesome when we are able to catch up and spend time together again. And, to further prove it is a small world, Daniela is randomly in a small group at Willow Creek Church (and friends with!) an old friend of mine from Olivet Nazarene University (who also used to live across the hall from me!), Lisa. :) I'll say it again--it's a small world!!! Daniela, thank you so much for everything and your sweet birthday gift! You, me and Taylor (lol) will have to take another road trip again soon! :)

Daniela & I out for a casual dinner downtown Chi-town :)

After finals, Doug went out to dinner with a few member of his family. And, we did not get home together until about 1:30 a.m. on Sunday. Needless to say, we did a lot much needed resting on Sunday. :) Being pregnant, my energy level is a bit different than it used to me! Doug has one more final this week and then a week break--Woohoo! :)

Hope you are enjoying your week! Thanks for reading this!
Kate

No comments: