Friday, May 22, 2009

Kelly & Spain

Kelly

"A ship in a port is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."
 - Benazir Bhutto 

This Wednesday night, Doug and I traveled to Chicago for a dinner to celebrate Doug's sister, Kelly, who is headed to Spain for a few months to live with a family, study Spanish, learn, grow, and simply have some fun memorable times.  We are so happy and excited for her--it will no doubt be an experience of a lifetime.  Doug and I will be following her journey with her brand new blogspot, www.kellydawes.blogspot.com.  Kelly is a fantastic writer, a talented photographer, and quite the experienced traveler (she has been to most of our world's continents multiple times).  So, we are--no doubt--looking forward to reading her posts, seeing her photos and watching how she is processing this experience.    Those who know me well, know how much my 'study abroad' experience in Latin America (Costa Rica, Guatemala, Cuba, Nicaragua and Panama) changed me and gave me a very different new perspective on many aspects of the the world (from government and religion to love and poverty).  Thus, I am always thrilled to watch and talk to those who have experienced something similar.  I have often said that you can travel all over the world for short periods of time and virtually be the same (I have been to about 20 countries),  but when you actually 'LIVE' in a very different place for a while with a very different family and surroundings...THAT is what changes you.  And change, however new and uncomfortable, is often a good and beautiful thing.  Here's to you, Kelly, and your adventurous spirit! 

Much Love, 
Doug, Katie y Baby Girl

No comments: