Thursday, May 7, 2009

Special Thanks to a Special Mom :)





Here are just a few of the ways I am thankful for my special Mother on Mother’s Day J

I think I have a special Mom…the older I become the more I realize this truth. My Mom is someone that never puts any pressure on myself or Doug to do or be anything we are not. She accepts and respects us as we are and as we change and grow.  Thank you for being so accepting and loving, Mom!

Any time Doug and I have needed help with anything, my Mom is there offering to help (helping us move, helping us with house projects, etc.). She has NEVER had an attitude or made us feel like we ‘owe’ her. She is the kind of person and Mom that not just in her words, but through her actions genuinely loves you and put other’s first.  Thank you for being there to help, Mom!

Although we think of her this day, we don’t often see my Mom on the actual Mother’s Day holiday. My Mom (knowing our schedules and especially now that we are out of town) almost every year tells me/us that for her gift, she would like for Doug and I to stay home ‘take care of yourself, have fun and relax—that would make me most happy” (of course we still give her a gift!). She’s amazing---even on Mother’s Day she puts everyone else first and is interested in making them feel loved and special.  Mom, Thank you for being an example of selflessness…it is humbling and beautiful and we love you even more because of it!

My Mom works full time and commutes 3 hours a day on trains and buses, but she definitely still makes time and finds the energy to put everyone she loves in her life first (like her grandchildren). My sister told recently me that she was in a bind and needed a babysitter for the same evening and called my Mom for help at work. My Mom responded with “I set aside a certain amount of vacations days for just this situation. I’ll leave early and be there. ” Thank you for being such a great Grandma, Mom!

Every time my Mom visits, Doug says something along the lines of “When is your Mom coming back? I love it when she visits…she is so peaceful and relaxing to hang with and talk to.” I always think that is sweet, but sometimes it hits me how unusual that is to hear a son-in-law WANT their Mother-in-law around. In fact, I don’t know many people who can say that about their in-laws…period. I think this alone speaks VOLUMES about my Mom. She humbly loves people….in her actions more than words.  Thank you for being such a great Mother-in-law to Doug!

Mom, thank you for everything…for always helping and for being an example to both Doug and I of someone who loves through their actions and makes sacrifices with JOY. I am so grateful that you are in our lives and that you will be in our daugher’s life as well.

You are a wonderful, Mom!


MUCH Love! Happy Mama’s Day!
Doug, Katie & Baby Girl Smith

No comments: